On Wed, Mar 19, 2014 at 11:34 AM, Rafael Ferreira <r...@uvasoftware.com>wrote:

> Interesting... let me run some tests and get back to you.
>
> On Mar 19, 2014, at 8:33 AM, Mark Allan <markjal...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Just out of interest, did you test to see if it *actually* worked?
> >
> > My configure output shows that dmg and xar are supported, but it doesn't
> actually detect the Eicar test file within a disk image.
> >
> > configure: Summary of engine detection features
> >              autoit_ea06 : yes
> >              bzip2       : ok
> >              zlib        : /usr
> >              unrar       : yes
> >              dmg and xar : yes, from /usr
> >
> > When I create a new disk image, copy the Eicar test file in, and scan
> the dmg, it shows up as being clean.
> >
> >> clamscan test.dmg
> >> test.dmg: OK

DMG is an odd filetype, since there are really 2 or 3 different filetypes
lumped into that category.

What we have included in ClamAV 0.98.1 is scanning of UDIF format DMG
files, which have a definitive trailer block and may have compressed
sections.
We have not yet included support for scanning raw disk format DMG files,
which are nearly indistinguishable from disk dumps. No separate compression
is allowed.

So let me ask you this question. How did you create your DMG? Most software
packagers create UDIF format to reduce the file size for downloads. Disk
Utility and the hdiutil command can create a raw disk unless another format
is checked.

To find out what format your testfile is really in, you can use the
imageinfo sub-command of hdiutil (e.g. hdiutil imageinfo yourfile.dmg).
Then you can use the convert sub-command of hdiutil to switch the format.

Hope this helps,

Dave R.

--
---