Read this online at:
https://blog.clamav.net/2024/08/clamav-140-feature-release-and-clamav.html

The ClamAV 1.4.0 feature release is now stable. We encourage everyone to
download the latest version now from the ClamAV downloads
page<https://www.clamav.net/downloads>, on the GitHub Release
page<https://github.com/Cisco-Talos/clamav/releases>, and through Docker Hub*:

  *   Alpine-based images<https://hub.docker.com/r/clamav/clamav/>
  *   Debian-based multi-arch
images<https://hub.docker.com/r/clamav/clamav-debian/>

*The Docker images are built on release day and will be made available when
they are ready.

We are also publishing ClamAV bytecode compiler version 1.4.0.

The ClamAV bytecode compiler release files are available for download on the
GitHub Release
page<https://github.com/Cisco-Talos/clamav-bytecode-compiler/releases> and
through Docker Hub.<https://hub.docker.com/r/clamav/clambc-compiler/tags>

ClamAV platform support changes
We will no longer provide Linux 32-bit packages. With RHEL 7 reaching
end-of-life, we had to upgrade our build hosts and selected Alma Linux 8. Alma
Linux does not provide 32-bit images. ClamAV users on 32-bit platforms can
still build from source.

We now provide ARM64 packages for Windows. We are not able to provide
ARM64/aarch64 Linux packages for this release.

Regarding future versions
An expired signing certificate used to create one of the test files is causing
feature test failures in previous versions (1.3.1, 1.0.6 LTS). This is only a
test issue and does not impact ClamAV functionality or detection. We are
preparing patch versions for the 1.3 and 1.0 feature releases to address the
test issue.

The next LTS release will be announced later this year. It will likely be the
feature release after 1.4.

The 0.103 LTS release will soon reach end-of-life for security fixes. Check out
our recent blog post for full
details<https://blog.clamav.net/2024/08/clamav-0103-lts-end-of-life-announcement.html>.

Continue reading to learn what changed in these versions.

ClamAV 1.4.0
ClamAV 1.4.0 includes the following improvements and changes:
Major changes

  *
Added support for extracting ALZ archives. The new ClamAV file type for ALZ
archives is CL_TYPE_ALZ. Added a
DCONF<https://docs.clamav.net/manual/Signatures/DynamicConfig.html> option to
enable or disable ALZ archive support.
Tip: DCONF (Dynamic CONFiguration) is a feature that allows for some
configuration changes to be made via ClamAV .cfg "signatures".
     *   GitHub pull request<https://github.com/Cisco-Talos/clamav/pull/1183>
  *
Added support for extracting LHA/LZH archives. The new ClamAV file type for
LHA/LZH archives is CL_TYPE_LHA_LZH. Added a
DCONF<https://docs.clamav.net/manual/Signatures/DynamicConfig.html> option to
enable or disable LHA/LZH archive support.
     *   GitHub pull request<https://github.com/Cisco-Talos/clamav/pull/1192>
  *
Added the ability to disable image fuzzy hashing, if needed. For context, image
fuzzy hashing is a detection mechanism useful for identifying malware by
matching images included with the malware or phishing email/document.
New ClamScan options:

--scan-image[=yes(*)/no]
--scan-image-fuzzy-hash[=yes(*)/no]

New ClamD config options:

ScanImage yes(*)/no
ScanImageFuzzyHash yes(*)/no

New libclamav scan options:

options.parse &= ~CL_SCAN_PARSE_IMAGE;
options.parse &= ~CL_SCAN_PARSE_IMAGE_FUZZY_HASH;

Added a DCONF<https://docs.clamav.net/manual/Signatures/DynamicConfig.html>
option to enable or disable image fuzzy hashing support.
     *   GitHub pull request<https://github.com/Cisco-Talos/clamav/pull/1186>

Other improvements

  *
Added cross-compiling instructions for targeting ARM64/aarch64 processors for
Windows<https://github.com/Cisco-Talos/clamav/blob/main/INSTALL-cross-windows-arm64.md>
 and
Linux<https://github.com/Cisco-Talos/clamav/blob/main/INSTALL-cross-linux-arm64.md>.
     *   GitHub pull request<https://github.com/Cisco-Talos/clamav/pull/1116>
  *
Improved the Freshclam warning messages when being blocked or rate limited to
include the Cloudflare Ray ID, which helps with issue triage.
     *   GitHub pull request<https://github.com/Cisco-Talos/clamav/pull/1195>
  *
Removed unnecessary memory allocation checks when the size to be allocated is
fixed or comes from a trusted source. We also renamed internal memory
allocation functions and macros, so it is more obvious what each function does.
     *   GitHub pull request<https://github.com/Cisco-Talos/clamav/pull/1137>
  *
Improved the Freshclam documentation to make it clear that the --datadir option
must be an absolute path to a directory that already exists, is writable by
Freshclam, and is readable by ClamScan and ClamD.
     *   GitHub pull request<https://github.com/Cisco-Talos/clamav/pull/1199>
  *
Added an optimization to avoid calculating the file hash if the clean file
cache has been disabled. The file hash may still be calculated as needed to
perform hash-based signature matching if any hash-based signatures exist that
target a file of the same size, or if any hash-based signatures exist that
target "any" file size.
     *   GitHub pull request<https://github.com/Cisco-Talos/clamav/pull/1167>
  *
Added an improvement to the SystemD service file for ClamOnAcc so that the
service will shut down faster on some systems.
     *   GitHub pull request<https://github.com/Cisco-Talos/clamav/pull/1164>
  *
Added a CMake build dependency on the version map files so that the build will
re-run if changes are made to the version map files. Work courtesy of Sebastian
Andrzej Siewior.
     *   GitHub pull request<https://github.com/Cisco-Talos/clamav/pull/1294>
  *
Added an improvement to the CMake build so that the RUSTFLAGS settings are
inherited from the environment. Work courtesy of liushuyu.
     *   GitHub pull request<https://github.com/Cisco-Talos/clamav/pull/1301>

Bug fixes

  *
Silenced confusing warning message when scanning some HTML files.
     *   GitHub pull request<https://github.com/Cisco-Talos/clamav/pull/1252>
  *
Fixed minor compiler warnings.
     *   GitHub pull request<https://github.com/Cisco-Talos/clamav/pull/1197>
  *
Since the build system changed from Autotools to CMake, ClamAV no longer
supports building with configurations where bzip2, libxml2, libz, libjson-c, or
libpcre2 are not available. Libpcre is no longer supported in favor of
libpcre2. In this release, we removed all the dead code associated with those
unsupported build configurations.
     *   GitHub pull request<https://github.com/Cisco-Talos/clamav/pull/1217>
  *
Fixed assorted typos. Patch courtesy of RainRat.
     *   GitHub pull request<https://github.com/Cisco-Talos/clamav/pull/1228>
  *
Added missing documentation for the ClamScan --force-to-disk option.
     *   GitHub pull request<https://github.com/Cisco-Talos/clamav/pull/1186>
  *
Fixed an issue where ClamAV unit tests would prefer an older libclamunrar_iface
library from the install path, if present, rather than the recently compiled
library in the build path.
     *   GitHub pull request<https://github.com/Cisco-Talos/clamav/pull/1258>
  *
Fixed a build issue on Windows with newer versions of Rust. Also upgraded
GitHub Actions imports to fix CI failures. Fixes courtesy of liushuyu.
     *   GitHub pull request<https://github.com/Cisco-Talos/clamav/pull/1307>
  *
Fixed an unaligned pointer dereference issue on select architectures. Fix
courtesy of Sebastian Andrzej Siewior.
     *   GitHub pull request<https://github.com/Cisco-Talos/clamav/pull/1293>
  *
Fixed a bug that prevented loading plaintext (non-CVD) signature files when
using the --fail-if-cvd-older-than=DAYS / FailIfCvdOlderThan option. Fix
courtesy of Bark.
     *   GitHub pull request<https://github.com/Cisco-Talos/clamav/pull/1309>

Acknowledgments
Special thanks to the following people for code contributions and bug reports:

  *   Bark
  *   liushuyu
  *   Sebastian Andrzej Siewior
  *   RainRat

ClamAV Bytecode Compiler 1.4.0
➕ Upgrade bytecode compiler project to LLVM 16.

  *   The bytecode compiler project now builds multiple shared object files,
instead of just one with all of the passes. This is due to running with the
"new" pass manager, instead of running with the legacy pass manager, as before.
See https://llvm.org/docs/NewPassManager.html and
https://blog.llvm.org/posts/2021-03-26-the-new-pass-manager/ for more details.
  *   The bytecode compiler currently uses (deprecated) non-opaque pointers.
Updating to all opaque pointers will be required for the next release. See
https://llvm.org/docs/OpaquePointers.html for more information.

🌌 New Requirements:

  *   LLVM 16
  *   Clang 16