Marc Balmer wrote:
Hi

I have been running clamd 0.60 for quite some time now on our mail
gateway in a milter setup (not the ClamAV milter, but our own one that
"speaks" the clamd protocol).

clamd in this version is not stable and I wonder if it is the server
part or libclamav thats causing the trouble.

hmm - we use it together with exiscan, and we have only seen it break under extremly high loads/unusual situations (i.e. enormous connection backlog due to the LDAP-loadbalancer going down). I suspect this problems occour when the maximum thread/backlog limits inside the clamd-daemon are reached.
During light/normal load (we only have some 250k mails/day) the more recent snapshots do work reliable for us.

I have worked a lot with Symantec AntiVirus Scan Engine and I think that their protocol is superior to the clamd protocol. SAVSE "speaks" ICAP plus an elaborate native protocol. I would like to see clamd support ICAP as well. The clamd native protocol is very problematic when connecting the server through a firewall, it has the same defects as FTP (the server choosing an arbitrary port number and handing it out to the client).

while ICAP would be a really nice addition, the problematic behaviour of the STREAM-extension has already been discussed (on clamav-devel) and tomasz promised a solution for this :-)

Stefan