Mailing Lists wrote:

Not sure if this has been addressed before but I was wondering if it is/would be possible to build rpms directly from the tarball. I can do this currently with SpamAssassin by doing rpmbuild -ta <tarball> and it builds rpms for my system. Is this possible to do with clamav. I am not sure but I think a spec file would need to be included in the source. I think this would make things much, much easier for those of us who use rpm based systems to keep up with current builds etc instead of either finding or building rpms from scratch every time. Anyway, just a thought. If this has been addressed before I apologize.

Hello Richard,

it is not so simply, IMHO.

Clamav development is very quick and syncing with sources is not easy,
especially when there is not release plan or release cycle defined <HINT>.

On another side, the package maintainers (rpm, deb, solaris, bsd) provides valuable QA.
Sometimes clamav versions didnt compile on some systems (aka milter.8),
additional post-release patches was needed to correct run.
You get tested packages with additional features like starting scripts, logwatch
config and more for the same price :-)

There are usualy stable packages and development packages following
each important cvs changes with a little delay and you are free to test it.

Petr

------------------------------------------------------- SF.Net is sponsored by: Speed Start Your Linux Apps Now. Build and deploy apps & Web services for Linux with a free DVD software kit from IBM. Click Now! http://ads.osdn.com/?ad_id=1356&alloc_id=3438&op=click _______________________________________________ Clamav-users mailing list [EMAIL PROTECTED] https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/clamav-users