On Mar 16, 2004, at 12:55 AM, Odhiambo Washington wrote:
 I have seen some people on the list say that clamd will stop working
if the maximum logfile size is hit?

Well, that was discussed, but they also gave solutions with the use of logrotate.

I was hoping not to add another rotation system to FreeBSD unless it was really the only way to do it; my understanding was that FreeBSD prefers to have newsyslog handle the rotation of logs. Also it seemed as if some people had the problem of it stopping but others didn't; I didn't find a definitive "if you run version X this happens, if you run version Y this happens instead..." type of response and there were simply too many posts to sort through to get the summary extracted of the problem so I thought I'd just ask now that I hoped the dust had settled :-)

Is there anyone using newsyslog to rotate the logs for clamd, and if so
what is your conf file line to do it?

BTW, there are new versions on the website, so go for them. There is an entry in the Changelog from the CVS checkout I just did a few minutes ago:

<snip>

And this is only set up on the CVS version, the sighup support, correct?

I wonder when that will make it's way into the ports. I rely primarily on the portupgrades procedure to keep things in sync with updates; if we have too many things fragmented (whose network isn't if you have more than five users? :-) then updates get overlooked or fixing systems can get complicated. :-/

PS: I use daemontools to monitor clamd, and I use other methods to
rotate my log file, so don't blame me if the above approach makes
your box to go up in flames ;)

Shoot, no fire suppression in the server room either...this sucks.