On Thursday, April 08, 2004 3:17 PM [EST], Lionel Bouton
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Tomasz Kojm wrote the following on 04/08/04 19:49 :
>
>> On Thu, 8 Apr 2004 13:16:51 -0400
>> "Brian Bruns" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>

>>> Ok, I'm still somewhat unsure if your saying that the DB is covered by
>>> the GPL, BSD, some other license, or if its considered public domain?
>>> I have not been able to find info on what the openav database was
>>> licensed as.
>>>

>> [EMAIL PROTECTED]:/tmp$ sigtool -u daily.cvd
>> [EMAIL PROTECTED]:/tmp$ less COPYING
>>

> IANAL...
>
> I'm worried about the license choice : daily and main.cvd are clearly
> GPLed but I'm not sure if it prevents using them in proprietary software
> (you don't link to the cvd files, you only use them as data). I think it
> only prevents people from taking the files, modifying them and release
> them alone or as part of a whole package without the GPL attached for
> the cvd files.
>
> Is it the real goal or shouldn't proprietary software be forbidden to
> use these files ?
>
> In this case I'd try to make things clear by renaming COPYING to GPLv2
> and adding a COPYING which clearly states that the whole CVD is covered
> by the GPL and software using the content for the purpose of detecting
> virii must be covered by the GPL too (I think you want to allow people
> to use proprietary software to transmit the file for example).
>
> But as I said IANAL, better ask the fsf...

Perhaps it might be better to use one of the documentation licenses then?

I'm not sure, I consider the use of the data file in the case of clamav to be
an integral part, very similar to the source code itself.  But, like I said,
everyone has their own opinions on this.

--
Brian Bruns
Open Solutions For A Closed World / Anti-Spam Resources

The Abusive Hosts Blocking List
http://www.ahbl.org