Have you tried to locate or find *.cvd?  Are there other copies somewhere?
What about:

sigtool -l|grep SomeFool

my output is:

Worm.SomeFool.Gen-unp
Worm.SomeFool.O
Worm.SomeFool.P
Worm.SomeFool.P-dll
Worm.SomeFool.Q
Worm.SomeFool.N
Worm.SomeFool.R
Worm.SomeFool.Q.2
Exploit.HTML.SomeFool.V
Worm.SomeFool.X
Worm.SomeFool.Y
Worm.SomeFool
Worm.SomeFool.B
Worm.SomeFool.B.2
Worm.SomeFool.D
Worm.SomeFool.E
Worm.SomeFool.F
Worm.SomeFool.Gen-1
Worm.SomeFool.Gen-2
Worm.SomeFool.I
Worm.SomeFool.K
Worm.SomeFool.L
Worm.SomeFool.M

Do you have SomeFool.Y listed?

> ClamAV was compiled using the option --sysconfdir=/etc/clamav ... and I
> figured out another interesting "feature". Clamscan doesn't detect the
> worm, but Clamdscan does.

have you tried clamscan -m <message>?

> When I use strace to figure out, where clamscan is looking for the config
> file, there's no appearance of clamav.conf in the output.

Thats because clamscan doesnt use clamav.conf  only clamd/clamdscan

That brings up something ive been thinking about recently.  With all the
people asking why doesnt clamscan listen to settings in /etc/clamav.conf
would it be difficult to rename clamav.conf to clamd.conf since only clamd
uses it?  I realize that this wouldnt always be a good idea since according
to freshclam.conf "## This file may be optionally merged with clamav.conf.",
but how many people actually merge the 2 into just clamav.conf?  I think
renaming clamav.conf to clamd.conf would lessen some of the confusion.

Anyone else have any opinions on the topic?

Jim