At 11:57 AM 5/10/2004, Bora wrote:
Sorry, this may not be appropriate to post here, but I know many of you are
using RH and are figuring new options as they are no longer offering free
download for RH 7, 8 and 9.

Actually, you *can* still download older versions of RH from their FTP site. Just pick a mirror and look in the pub/redhat/linux area. But I assume you meant getting updates...

So the question is do you recommend moving to? SuSE, Mandrake? I want to use
something similar so I don't have to learn new tools and admin task.

We're keeping existing servers on Red Hat for now, and using updates from the Fedora Legacy project - www.fedoralegacy.org . Fedora Legacy intends to keep RHL 7.3 and 9 (and possibly 8) going as long as there is interest, and also to extend the update period of each Fedora Core version beyond its own official end-of-life.

Another option for keeping older RHL systems running is the $5/machine/month Progeny Transition Service - http://transition.progeny.com/

As for what to put on new servers, we haven't decided yet here. I've had good experiences with Fedora Core 1 on workstations, but we'll probably avoid using it on servers for now. If you're interested, it's at http://fedora.redhat.com/ . FC1 really is Red Hat 10 renamed, so it has all the same tools you're used to, and most of the third-party packagers building for RHL have started building for Fedora Core as well. Plus it's the only distro you can upgrade a RHL system to without reinstalling.

If you like the way Red Hat works, there are also several RH-based distros you can look at. The only one I've really checked out so far is White Box Enterprise Linux ( www.whiteboxlinux.org ) which is a fork of the GPL'ed code used in RHEL 3 - and since everything in Red Hat is GPL except the name and logos, it's basically the whole thing. (Well, fork isn't the best term, since the intent is to keep it as close as possible to RH without violating trademarks, copyrights, and licenses.) It uses the same packaging scheme and the same versions of everything, so third-party RPMs built for RHEL 3 should also work on WBEL. I installed it on a test box, and while I haven't done a whole lot with it, I haven't run into any problems with what I have tried.

I hope this helps!

Kelson Vibber