clamdscan runs as the user specified in /etc/clamav.conf.  It is by default
running as clamav and you are trying to scan /root which it cannot access.

> If I run clamscan it runs fine.

clamscan runs as the current user (most likely root).

Either dont scan stuff that the clamav user cant access (best idea) or
change the user clamav runs as to root (bad idea).

Hope this helps.

Jim