On Mon, 26 Apr 2004 at 18:36:18 +0100, Rob wrote:
> I'm seeing a number of false positives on Worm.Gibe.F using clamav-0.70
> fully up to date (on FreeBSD 5.2-CURRENT).  I've scanned the apparent
> hits using up to date Kaspersky, F-Prot and Sophos and none find
> anything.  This is probably because they've already been cleaned along
> the way :)
>
> If I unpack the email (using munpack) then clamav doesn't find anything
> in the 2 text, one HTML and 2 GIF files (both appear legit).  I assume
> it's triggering on something other than an actual signature of malicious
> code, but the signature of the mail itself (particularly as clamscan
> detects it WITHOUT --mbox).
>
> I can stick a sample of the email in question somewhere if people want,
> but I doubt that my results are unique.  I've got 77 samples from the
> last 2 weeks :)

This is an intended behaviour.
There was a long discussion in September 2003 whether we should detect
(and block) damaged samples of Worm.Gibe.F. In the end we decided: yes.
Such messages, though not containing executable viruses, are the result
of the virus and were very troublesome and - by end users - not easily
differentiated from real viruses.

I'm including a message from that thread: