On Monday 31 May 2004 09:33, Tomasz Kojm wrote:
> On Mon, 31 May 2004 08:19:47 -0400
>
> Clive Dove <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > I am quite familiar with linux but am very new to clamav.
> >
> > Mu objective run my son's incoming mail through clamav and
> > spamassassin using p3scan.  The reason is that while I use linux
> > exclusively, my son uses windows2000 almost exclusively and while I
> > have persuaded him to fetch his mal using Thunderbird in linux, he
> > would prefer to answer it using windows as that is where he does
> > most of his other computing.
> >
> > Thunderbird does not have the capability to pipe to third party
> > applications, so I intend to use p3scan with spamassassin and
> > clamav to do virus checking and a more complete spam checking than
> > Thunderbird offers.
> >
> > The thunderbird mailbox will be in a vfat partition where it can be
> > shared between windows and linux so that my son can read the mail
> > fetched in linux using either system.  I plan to disable the
> > windows mail fetch but allow him to send mail from windows.
> >
> > So to start putting it together, I started testing the components
> > and instantly ran into a problem.  I ran clamd from a root prompt
> > and got this message:
> >
> > LibClamAV Error: cli_cvdload():   Can't create temporary
> > directory /root/tmp/clamav-39c79127f6c8ccfa
> >
> > I tried resetting the permissions for /root/tmp/ but that made no
> > difference.
>
> This is a common problem on Mandrake. You can force another temp dir
> with the TemporaryDirectory directive in clamav.conf.

Thank you to both Tomasz and Steven.   Clamd no longer throws the
message.

Now I have to find out why clamdscan cannot open files that clamscan can
open.  When I run both on the same directory, clamscan opens all files
and finds the four Eiger test files that are in the directory but
clamdscan throws "Unable to open file or directory"  messages.

It seems that the message gets thrown if there is one or more files in
the directory with a leading dot in the name.  Then it throws the
message on all those files plus all other files except the four Eigar
test files that were in the directory.

If I run it on a directory where none of the files has a leading dot,
nothins is returned about any of the files except the four Eigar test
files which it reports as FOUND.  That would be OK so long as I could
be sure that it was actually opening the other files and checking them
for virus signatures.

BTW, the rpm packages have created files /etc/clamd.conf
and /etc/clamav.conf, both of which look alike as to contents. Is
clamdscan using one and clamscan using the other, or is one of them not
needed?

Clive