Basically I've got a qmail server that has all the mailboxes, etc. This server also runs clamdscan, and spamc (spamassassin).

What I'm doing, is moving the spamd and clamd processes to another machine, to take the load off the qmail server.

It seems that clamd has to actually have access to the file being scanned - the only way to accomplish this is with NFS, which will put even more of a load on the qmail box. That's a step in the wrong direction.

Basically what I want to know is - can I basically do the same setup that you can do with spamc/spamd, with clamav?

Client server (qmail) runs clamdscan
Antivirus server runs clamd

end result: clamdscan transfers the email over a private network to the server running clamd, the clamd server tells clamdscan if it's clean, or if it's a virus, etc.

Sorry if this email doesn't make much sense, but I've been working on this all day, and I'm a little tired.