On Wed, Aug 11, 2004 at 03:07:35PM +0200, Lionel Bouton wrote:
> The ideal setup would be to push updates instead of clients polling
> them. It would requires a separate architecture though (HTTP mirrors
> can't push things).
>
> Since some time I am thinking of a bittorrent approach too. Bittorrent
> i...

All this should fail for the *majority* of ClamAV sites!!

Push updates implies people have put "clam servers" out on the Internet so
that they are reachable - I don't think so! That's what firewalls were
invented for.

Similarly, BitTorrent *requires* "raw" Internet access in order to operate -
again - not a normal situation for an AV server.

DNS for serial numbers plus HTTP for actual data transfer still sounds best
to me... All outgoing connections only, all well established (nothing exotic)

--
Cheers

Jason Haar
Phone: +64 3 9635 377 Fax: +64 3 9635 417