On Fri, Aug 13, 2004 at 04:07:47PM -0700, Jim Gaynor said:
> It isn't sendmail that's borking this system, tho; it's the multiple
> high-load high-memory clamav-milter processes. I've checked the sendmail
> queue when those processes start to hog resources, and only had 32 items
> in queue one time, 24 another. Heck, right now I have 26, and load is
> still < 1.0
>
> I'm not saying your approach is wrong, I'm just saying I'm not entirely
> convinced it's right - spawning off more children doesn't seem the
> answer when the existing ones appear to have all gone into
> high-resource-consumption state...

No, you're reading me backwards.  It is the clamav-milter child threads
killing the system.  However, adding senmail processes stuck in a wait
state to that only makes it worse.  Get rid of the max-children in
clamav-milter, and control the overall scene by reducing the number of
sendmail -> milter processes spawned in sendmail.  Doing it in the milter
just adds choke to sendmail.

This is what I have found most effective in (fairly) high-load mail
systems, meaning 50-100,000 emails a day, where we do both clam and
spamassassin scanning.  It's better to delay the startup of a new
sendmail -> clam -> whatever process, than to start up the transaction,
and keep it waiting around longer because the system is resource
starved.

YMMV.
|  Stephen Gran                  | BOFH excuse #221:  The mainframe needs  |
|  [EMAIL PROTECTED]             | to rest.  It's getting old, you know.   |