On Sun, 15 Aug 2004, Mitch (WebCob) wrote:

; > > Please always try to _avoid_ to have cron based internet
; > services run by the
; > > hour. Please consider another value than 0. What about 17 or 41
; > as the value
; > > for the minute?
; >
; > As per discussions on this list on awhile ago; I use the following for
; > my crontab entry
; >   0 * * * * sleep $[ $RANDOM % 1800 ] ; /usr/local/bin/freshclam --quiet
; > this causes it to sleep for a random period of time not exceeding 30 min
; > before executing.
;
; Hmmm - couldn't this THEORETICALLY result in freshclam being run every few
; seconds?
;
; I know it's random, but without a lower end on the value, it is possible -
; right?

No, the cron job only runs on the hour (minute == 0) so it will only run
once per hour at a random time between hh:00 and hh:30.

A.