Graham Toal said:
>> Currently each mirror contributes around 100GB of traffic monthly
>>
>> Perhaps (not sure of the DNS system in place) could be arranged so that
>> 10%
>> of the requests a full primary mirror receives could be directed to a
>> secondary level mirror. With a committment of only roughly 10GB per
>> month,
>> we'd get more volunteers (I'd volunteer 2).
>>
>> Also, while I'm at it, sponsors of open source products are often
>> credited -
>> the mirrors should have a web page crediting the responsible hosts with
>> banners / links to them if they would like it... (or has this appeared
>> at
>> some point since I started participating)... Of course tier 1 mirrors
>> would
>> get top billing. ;-)
>
> Aren't we missing something obvious here?  Shouldn't we be using some
> sort of distributed technology like BitTorrent?
>
> I'm sure I've seen distribution schemes that organise a tree of downloads
> with a suitable branching ratio so that no one server is overloaded, and
> I've also seen tricks for pushing out one copy which is daisy-chained
> through many servers in real time so that everyone in the chain has
> one input feed and one output feed, but everyone receives the data
> at the same time, modulo a few seconds latency from end to end...

In fact that is why I chose to use the term franchisee earlier - so far
I've described only the first layer in all of this. A full working model
would be a tree structure not unlike the Amway model. Only without the
huckstering.

> We need to be looking at more creative schemes in line with modern
> distributed and parallel networks.  If it's good enough for the warez
> kiddies it should be good enough for us.
>
> I bet you with a few hours thought we could come up with a hybrid
> scheme which pushed out updates over a hierarchy to a sufficient
> number of 24x7 fixed-ip machines, from which dynamic unpushable
> clients could poll and fetch updates from without a damaging overhead
> on any one server.

Associate it with a business model that creates revenue for the nodes and
the mother ship and you are on your way.

dp