On Sep 15, 2004, at 9:45 AM, Paul Bijnens wrote:

I was hoping >12 year old could could at least change a few bytes
here them selves.  Like this:

Thank you, and I apologize for sounding quite so terse earlier. It's one of those mornings again and I was a little irked at the summary "man this", "man that" that I've already gone through. But I shouldn't have replied the way I did.

I think I became too focused on a particular solution because what I was expecting was something along the lines of using formail to rewrite a header and then allow the MTA to continue processing the message as it was without rewriting it, in case I didn't want it to be sent to a local folder for delivery but rather a remote system and through the man pages yesterday it looked like formail was the way to do it (and I didn't want processing to continue for the original so it would still be delivered to the original recipient).

What I had hoped to do was just slip the original message to the postmaster instead of the original person (not a cc, not a bcc, the original recipient would never see it at all) and postmaster or whoever I designate by email address, local or remote, would get the original message content, completely, so I could allow my local mail client to redirect based on a local ruleset. Basically just have procmail rewrite a header (and subject, perhaps) and redirect the message so instead of foo it goes to postmaster, otherwise the original mail, content and attachment, are unaltered. I didn't see this type of recipe in the man page using formail and didn't know if procmail even could rewrite a header and have the mail agent continue processing without it being delivered to the original recipient by editing the headers.

Perhaps the correct solution would be to find a way to use the mail command to send it to postmaster with all the mail content/attachments to postmaster and then dump the original into null; redirect the message instead of rewriting the headers to have it delivered.

-Bart