Thanks Evan.

I completely missed that option when first installing. Late night and all

I have done just as you state, and ClamAV went in just fine. I did have some
trouble with the milter though, when I restarted Sendmail. To mine
inexperienced eyes, it looked like some kind of syntax error, something
about it expecting a '=' in one of the milter lines in the sendmail.cf.

Also, it (sendmail) didn't seem to know what a 'clmilter' or, when I
substitued that for 'clamav', was. Sorry, don't have the exact error message
to hand now. These errors were more than likely caused by something else I'd
forgotten to do, or didn't realise I needed to.

However, being very eager (read 'impatient') by now to get ClamAV actually
scanning something, I looked through the Third Party Software list for an
alternative approach, and tried ClamAssassin.

It worked like a charm. So the milter option is on the back-burner so to
speak for the time being.

By the way, version 1.2.2 of ClamAssassin is out now :

http://drivel.com/clamassassin/

Thanks again Evan for your time and information.

Regards,

Pete.

Pete

You did rebuild your sendmail.cf file from a mc file with the milter
configuration included?

Here is my sendmail.mc file
---Star sendmail.mc ---
include(`../m4/cf.m4')
VERSIONID(`default setup for Slackware Linux')dnl
OSTYPE(`linux')dnl
dnl# These settings help protect against people verifying email addresses
dnl# at your site in order to send you email that you probably don't want:
define(`confPRIVACY_FLAGS', `authwarnings,novrfy,noexpn,restrictqrun')dnl
dnl# Uncomment the line below to send outgoing mail through an external
server:
dnl define(`SMART_HOST',`mailserver.example.com')
dnl# No timeout for ident:
define(`confTO_IDENT', `0')dnl
dnl# Enable the line below to use smrsh to restrict what sendmail can run:
dnl FEATURE(`smrsh',`/usr/sbin/smrsh')dnl
dnl# See the README in /usr/share/sendmail/cf for a ton of information on
dnl# how these options work:
FEATURE(`use_cw_file')dnl
FEATURE(`use_ct_file')dnl
FEATURE(`mailertable',`hash -o /etc/mail/mailertable.db')dnl
FEATURE(`virtusertable',`hash -o /etc/mail/virtusertable.db')dnl
FEATURE(`access_db', `hash -T<TMPF> /etc/mail/access')dnl
FEATURE(`blacklist_recipients')dnl
FEATURE(`local_procmail',`',`procmail -t -Y -a $h -d $u')dnl
FEATURE(`always_add_domain')dnl
FEATURE(`redirect')dnl
INPUT_MAIL_FILTER(`clmilter',`S=local:/var/run/clmilter.sock,F=,
T=S:4m;R:4m')dnl
define(`confINPUT_MAIL_FILTERS', `clmilter')
dnl# Turn this feature on if you don't always have DNS, or enjoy junk mail:
dnl FEATURE(`accept_unresolvable_domains')dnl
EXPOSED_USER(`root')dnl
dnl# Also accept mail for localhost.localdomain:
LOCAL_DOMAIN(`localhost.localdomain')dnl
MAILER(local)dnl
MAILER(smtp)dnl
--- End sendmail.mc ---

Evan