; What is your hardware spec anyway? and what do you run on it?
; I use v120, 512M, with exim+exiscan+clamd.

v210, 2048MB, twin CPU, with sendmail + milter + clamd

; > Mind you, the Solaris
; > installation is extensively tuned for this application which may
; > contribute to some of the difference.
; >
; >
; THIS application? Are you talking about clamd or your mail system in general?
; Can you share what tuning you did?
; The only tuning I did on Solaris was on /etc/system :
; set rlim_fd_max=65535
; set rlim_fd_cur=65535

The application is mail with spam and AV, we pass all messages through
multiple AV and spam scanners. We've done a lot of work on tuning kernel
parameters to adjust TCP timeouts, thread parameters etc. and extensively
tuned Sendmail. The tuning parameters are adapted to our system and specific
application so they probably wouldn't be generally applicable.

One thing that might make a difference though is whether you have
compiled ClamAV as a 64-bit application ? We noticed a significant
performance increase when we did that. It also gives you the 65535 file
descriptors without having to change /etc/system - in general changing
/etc/system as you have done is a bad idea as it will result in stack
corruption in 32-bit binaries that use select().

Also, don't compile with enable_readdir on Solaris, there is an outstanding
but in ClamAV with this.

A.