> On Mon, 8 Nov 2004, Ken Jones wrote:
>> After re-installing .80 release code, I need to re-boot before thepolitely
>> milterimmediately
>> will sucessfully start.
>>
>> I have tried this on both a Solaris 9 X86 and a Solaris 8 X86 box, both
>> running .80 release just fine.
>

> Wow!  I've not seen a unix proggie protected from a death by -9 in a long
> time.  The only time we see problems like this is when you pull the IDE
> cable on a mounted filesystem (yes, we like to have fun) or some other
> catastrophic IO problem.  Is 2.8/2.9 really so unstable that a reboot is
> required or am I missing something?  I have always held solaris as being
> more stable than linux (our os of choice) for recovering from really fatal
> errors like that.  Suppose it could also be a sol threading problem.  Can
> you offer any additional information?

The milter dies upon whatever the internal error is. clamd and freshclam
both will politly die with a simple kill (-15) sent to them.
At that point, if I re-install the release version of .80, I still am
unable to start clamav-milter. It just dies immedatly until I reboot the
system. All other functionality remains in the system (other than
clamav-milter.)

My guess is that a shared library is left in memory that has been altered
or is otherwise corrupt (just a guess). In the past, I have been able to
bring down clam gracefully, and install updated code, and restart without
any issues and by no means a reboot !

Nigel Horne beleives he may have tracked down the issue and fixed it in
80q cvs version. I'm waiting to see that in cvs and will report back.

- Ken

> --
> Eric Wheeler
> Vice President