On Mon, 15 Nov 2004 17:30:39 +0100 in
[EMAIL PROTECTED] "Julian Mehnle"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>  > You can easily do what you want provided you are prepared to put
>  > the time and effort into doing it. Meanwhile everyone else will
>  > continue to use the hard work of the ClamAV team to its full
>  > benefit.
>
>  If you're trying to alienate me, good luck.  And if you imply I don't
>  appreciate the effort that the creators of ClamAV have invested,
>  you're flat out wrong.  I really do.  But that won't keep me from
>  making feature requests and constructive suggestions on how to
>  implement them.  That's what I have done.

No I am not trying to alienate you. What I am suggesting is that,
because you appear to have a requirement that is significantly different
from nearly everyone else that has responded in this thread, you are in
the best position to roll your own solution rather than suggesting that
ClamAV is changed to accommodate your requirement. At least until you
have tried it and have further suggestions to make based on the
experience gained.

Personally speaking I use ClamAV called by Exim and also SpamAssassin.
ClamAV detecting any malware causes a rejection at SMTP time. SA passes
the mail back to Exim after marking it up and this then allows for
filtering by the user. I chose to do it this way because I add extra
rules to SA to bump up scores of what would otherwise be marginal spam.
As you seem to wish to do the opposite of this with ClamAV I agree that
it might be more difficult, but I can't see how else to achieve what you
want. A separation of signatures into SE and non-SE won't suit me for
one and even if everyone wanted that it adds to the effort involved.

I find it really hard to understand why you want to do it as well, I
find that ClamAV kills the obvious signature-based phishing attacks and
SA spots those that ClamAV doesn't. Two lines of defence is fine by me.

--

Brian Morrison

bdm at fenrir dot org dot uk

GnuPG key ID DE32E5C5 - http://wwwkeys.uk.pgp.net/pgpnet/wwwkeys.html