On Nov 15, 2004, at 4:27 PM, Dennis Skinner wrote:

Dave Goodrich wrote:
My preference has been stated. I would prefer SpamAssassin do the puzzle solving of message bodies, headers, URI lookups, message obfuscation, etc and let ClamAV do the signature matching of attachments.

SA uses many more resources than ClamAV. Clam is going to scan the msg anyway. The more dangerous email I can reject before it gets to SA, the better, IMO.

That implies you're going to have it go through SA anyway. Why not have Clam scan for every known spam and see how many resources it starts to take up on top of what used to be just scanning for known viruses?

SA has been asked about viruses. they say "that's viruses...use clamav or some other AV. We do spam." Why move the project into their territory?

If these are known spam, known attacks, it would already be in SA's arsenal. Or if it's already known put it through procmail recipes to reject before it hits SA.

Wouldn't these also work?

-Bart