On Fri, 2005-01-07 at 13:37 +0300, Arkady V.Belousov wrote:
> Hi!
>
> 6-Янв-2005 17:32 [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Daniel J McDonald) wrote to

> >>      My English is poor, but me looks, that above is irony/sarcasm. Don't
> >> understand, why online access should/must be only one way to receive
> >> updates.
> DJM> Well...  clamav is usually used to protect e-mail.  if you can break it
> DJM> by sending an e-mail to it, that's bad....
> DJM> So, even though clamd won't load a bad cvd file, it can't check it before
> DJM> you copy it like freshclam can....
>
>      First: I myself mean, that _I_ receive updates and _I_ place them into
> ClamAV directories (directly by hands or indirectly through my own utilities
> and batch files/scripts).

That's fine - download them from the internet and toss them on a web
server, run freshclam, and it's done.  Don't want it exposed?  Specify a
bizarre port and use apache to limit access to just that one file from
those specific machines.  It ain't that tough.  You could probably even
set up a server on knoppix or MandrakeMove with just a cdrom.

>      Second: why you think, that ClamAV can't trust connection through
> mails, but may trust online access (which may be deceipted by hacked DNS and
> other services)?

Occasionally I'll try to download a file while the mirrors are still
syncing.  Freshclam grabs the file, looks at it, decides that it is no
good, and discards it.

If you don't have freshclam doing that work, and you merely assume that
whatever message I receive is the authentic file and toss it in
the /var/lib/clamav directory, then clamd (or clamscan) will read the
file, decide it is corrupt, and refuse to do anything.

Freshclam does other things, like inform clamd that new signatures are
available.  So even if you were to set up a web-to-mail gateway, the
best way to deploy the files internally is to create a webserver, drop
the files on it, and then run freshclam pointing to your local
webserver.