On Fri, 2005-01-07 at 08:50 -0500, Mark G. Thomas wrote:
> Hi,
>
> As of early this morning, I'm getting error messages like this:
>
>   ERROR: Can't connect to port 80 of host database.clamav.net (80.95.80.7)
>   Broken Pipe
>
> I've confirmed that my network appears to be being filtered from access
> to database.clamav.net, since I can connect to port 80 there successfully
> from other networks, just not the one with the clamav-running machines on it.
>
> I'm curious:
>
>   1) Why might my network be being blocked, since my hosts are configured to

Don't know...

>   2) If freshclam reports I'm current below, why is it trying to connect to
>         database.clamav.net on port 80?

main.cvd is current.  daily.cvd is not current.

>   3) How do I fix this if it is broken, and hopefully get unblocked?
>      What am I doing wrong?

in /etc/freshclam.conf, you probably need to set:

# Uncomment the following line and replace XY with your country
# code. See http://www.iana.org/cctld/cctld-whois.htm for the full list.
# Default: There is no default, which results in an error when running
freshclamDatabaseMirror db.US.clamav.net

Also, you might be accidentally starting daemon mode each time you run
freshclam from cron.   Change it to daemon mode at startup.  The current
Mandrake RPM assumes you are going to run daemon mode, where previous
versions set up cron.  If you don't go back and clean up cron then it
gets really messy...

I set mine to:
# Number of database checks per day.
# Default: 12 (every two hours)
Checks 49

My redundant box has "Checks 47".

An odd number like that will help ensure that the "on-the-hour" flood
will stop - since I poll DNS every 28.5 minutes I never camp out on the
busy times.

--
Daniel J McDonald, CCIE # 2495, CNX
Austin Energy