On 2005-01-10 17:44:26 +0300, Arkady V.Belousov wrote:
> 8-???-2005 12:18 [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Peter J. Holzer) wrote to ClamAV users ML

> >>      For me, as victim of virus like CIH, is unimportant that this virus is
> >> "rare".
> PJH> Ah, first you claim that it isn't rare, now you don't care whether it is
> PJH> rare.
>
>      Where is contradiction? I state, that infected machines are not rare,
> but even _if_ they are rare, then for victims this is unimportant.

Yes, but for the authors there is a difference. They have limited time,
and it makes sense for them to concentrate on the common cases, not on
the rare ones. OTOH, you have the source, so you can add the features
you want (or convince/pay/force someone to add them if you are not a
programmer).

> PJH> trust it (especially not if it has been infected itself). Boot from a
>
>      This is one reason, why I will not mess myself with NT/XP, and from
> Windows family prefer Win98, which I may handle outside it (from DOS).

OTOH, the Windows NT family has a functional privilege system, so if you
are a bit careful (i.e., work as a non-privileged user) the chance of
being infected is a lot lower.

> PJH> Seriously: Setting up different ways of distribution costs time and
> PJH> money. Distributing updates via mail has been discussed on this list
> PJH> and it was determined that the cost would be prohibitive (to be fair,
>
>      Why? What and how much costs there?

Sending out daily (or sometimes even more frequent) updates per mail to
many thousands of people in a timely manner (i.e.  within less than an
hour - the goal was to be faster than the polling method used by
freshclam at the that time) is not gratis. You need a fast server and a
lot of bandwidth. Somebody has to pay for that. Also somebody has to
monitor the system to see if there are any troubles (e.g., a full disk
because too many subscribers cannot be reached) and take action - again
that person has to donate their time or has to be paid. The cost may go
down if people donate mail exploders (just as they donate mirrors down),
but these are more difficult to set up than web mirrors and the whole
system is still more difficult to maintain.

> PJH> 2) You don't need freshclam to do the updates, but if you update
> PJH>    manually, you also have to restart clamd and check for errors
> PJH>    manually.
>
>      Which "errors"?

You may retrieve a partial or garbled database file. Or maybe you
get the updates in the wrong order ...

        hp

--
   _  | Peter J. Holzer    | Je höher der Norden, desto weniger wird
|_|_) | Sysadmin WSR       | überhaupt gesprochen, also auch kein Dialekt.
__/   | http://www.hjp.at/ |   -- Hannes Petersen in desd