Jamie Saunders wrote:

I've confirmed that clamav is running as qscand and is accessing the normal .cvd database files. I remembered looking into a module for PHP that utilised the clamav api called, surprisingly enough, php-clamav <http://freshmeat.net/projects/php-clam/>. I'm assuming this module was compiled against an older version of clamav which uses the .db files. If this is the cause of the mysterious temp files I don't want to simply disable the module as it's been used in a webmail PHP script. However, I'm still no nearer to undestanding why these files are appearing in /tmp, where they're coming from and why they aren't being removed.

Well that would explain why they are owned by apache. I tried checking out the link to php-clam you posted but the homepage (http://software.fotopic.net/) has no mention whatsoever about php-clam and there isnt a whole lot of info on the freshmeat page so its difficult to find out why this is happening. Regardless, i dont believe its anything related to clamav directly. Is there a php-clam list somewhere?

-Jim