> John Madden wrote:
>

>> I'm running postfix; I won't run qmail.
>
>  Well, at least you have some redeeming points :)
>
>  But, (getting into sermon mode once again), anyone who relies solely on
> only one point of detection for any type of mail content inspection, are
> literally bending over and begging for it.
>
>  Every type of content detector, be it virus, spam or exploits, will at
> times lag. Fact of life.

I run clamav as my inbound mail server (for a small company of about 30
users) and run McAfee on their desktops. A few months ago, a virus made it
past BOTH scanners. Within 2-3 hours of the outbreak, both clam ,McAfee,
and Norton had updated defs files ... both automatically installed.

Short of delaying mail by hours, you can't catch 100%. User training is a
major factor as well .... don't open attachments from strangers :)

>  I do, and admit freely, only run Clam for virus detection these days, but
> I know there will be rare occasions that it misses something. However,
> most of this crap will fall prey to many other types of content
> inspection. Design a proper scanning|detection system, do not wholly rely
> on the individual components.
>
>  And with regards to the update times, I previously ran several virii :)
> scanners on this system, and not one of them compared to Clam for
> detection rates or definition update speed over a prolonged period of
> time.
>

> Matt

Ken Jones