Around 4:07am on Thu, 24 Feb 2005 a mail from Dale Walsh said ...

> > Sounds like a known problem with 0.81. Upgrade to 0.83.
> >
> I have currently downgraded one of my servers to 0.80, it has
> been running for several days now without a single crash or
> restart required.
>
> Are you aware of the actual problem and are working on a
> solution or should I continue with the debug in the hopes of
> finding the problem (time permitting)?
>
> Learning gdb basics overnight wasn't fun.

It started intermittently ...

 Feb 20 09:01:40 server clamav-milter[9230]: hit max-children
 limit (2 >= 2): waiting for some to exit

 Feb 20 09:01:40 server clamav-milter[9231]: hit max-children
 limit (2 >= 2): waiting for some to exit

and then clamav-milter 0.82 locked up rejected every single with
4.7.1 after the data.  This is not what I wanted it to do,
especially over the weekend.  My work around was to rip it out
entirely.

I was about to upgrade to 0.83 when I got a report ..
Clamav-milter 0.83 on another machine spawned 20 or so threads,
although it was supposed to use two at maximum, and then started
to reject mail -- I don't administer that machine. I bumped
--max-children up to 20 as a courtesy, and hoped for the best
(haven't heard a peep).

Possibly the same problem?