Morgan Smith wrote:

error while loading shared libraries: /usr/local/lib/libclamav.so.1: R_PPC_REL24 relocation at 0x0ff8f650 for symbol `clearerr' out of range

I found out what went wrong for me and I have a solution for it. YMMV. I started from scratch on a spare imac and re-traced my steps. Here's what happened.

We all know that the newer version of ClamAV requires zlib-1.2.2. There was one thing that wasn't a distribution provided rpm... zlib. I downloaded the source and made my own rpm from it. The problem was my .spec file configured zlib with './configure' which created a /lib/libz.a. The rpm installed fine without complaints. ClamAV would compile and then not run properly for me.

Double checking the installation instructions for zlib I found out that I should have run './configure -s' which creates a /lib/libz.so.1.2.2 w/symlinks (shared libraries). There were remnants of the old zlib around (like in /usr/lib or /usr/local/lib) and things just weren't handled properly in my rpm file. I can see how multiple versions of zlib would make things difficult and unstable. Yes, I ran ldconfig on my lib dirs after cleaning things up. So, with a fresh clean properly installed zlib I compiled ClamAV (with just ./configure) and everything worked.

Thanks for all the suggestions and help. After reading so many posts I started to think that it wasn't a ClamAV problem even though that's where I received the error messages. PEBCAK for sure, but it was a great learning experience. Thanks again.