Brian Bruns wrote:

Its Cygwin, so I'll have to diagnose this with my user, since I'm not
seeing these problems on my end.

That explains everything: Cygwin version 1.5.13-1 (the latest) changed the way it reports exit codes to Windows.

Inside a Cygwin shell everything is normal (in your case the shell intercepts the 128 and shows a text message which is the usual way under Unix) but for Windows processes things changed, now exit codes are multiplied by 256 and core dumps or other problems are included in the exit code, which (at OS level) is composed of two parts, <exit code>:<reason> (that's two bytes, usually reason is 0 so exit code 1 is integer 256, and so on).

I had to change cgFilterMessages (a CommunigatePro filter) when this Cygwin change started. If you use clamdwatch.pl under anything that is not a Cygwin shell you'll have to change the way exit codes are handled (actually you have to change clamdwatch.pl anyway since Cygwin's perl doesn't handle the line that sets the temporary file mod).
--
René