Daniel J McDonald wrote:
> Julian Mehnle wrote:
> > Matthew van Eerde wrote:
> > > Nothing stops people from registering a domain like
> > > onlinebanking.example and then sending out - perfectly legitimately
> > > - from [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> >
> > Still the sender is not @citibank.com.
>
> But I could form a "Committee on Income Tax Inequities" and register
> citi.us.

Granted, preventing sender address forgery isn't sufficient for solving
the phishing problem.

> > Also, Service providers can hand out their PGP or S/MIME public key to
> > their customers (by postal mail or similar) and instruct them to
> > discard any messages that are not signed by that key.
>
> Wow, absolutely brilliant!

Not at all.  But effective.  And absolutely feasible.

> They can send them in the pre-approved credit card offers!

Certificate authorities don't issue certificates (public keys) reading
"Citigroup, Silver Spring, Maryland, US" to unverified strangers.  The way
the certificate reaches the end-user is largely irrelevant.

> Oh, and PGP would have to be given to everyone who has a computer!

Most widely-used mail clients do at least support S/MIME out of the box.

> While waiting, breathlessly, for Congress to take up your solution to
> the phishing problem, I'll continue to delete any mail that remotely
> smells like spam or malware, using as many tools as I can to search and
> destroy.

And nobody wants to take that option away from you.

> You are, of course, free to delete only things that clamav names as
> ^worm\.

No, because ClamAV reports at maximum _one_ malware signature match per
scanned object.  If it reports a match for /\.phishing\./, that doesn't
mean the object doesn't also contain some other (real) malware.