On Mon, Apr 18, 2005 at 02:39:02PM -0500, René Berber said:
> Tomasz Kojm wrote:
> > On Mon, 18 Apr 2005 14:10:35 -0500
> > René Berber <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >

> >>does not enable detecting them.  Why? because you have to uncomment
> >>DisableDefaultScanOptions to enable or disable the other options; even
> >>if you have DetectBrokenExecutables uncommented the default value of
> >>disabled is in effect...
> >

> > This is wrong.
>
> >From version 0.83 clamd.conf man page:
>
>        DisableDefaultScanOptions
>               By  default  clamd uses scan options recommended by lib-
>               clamav. This option  disables  recommended  options  and
>               allows  you to enable selected options. DO NOT ENABLE IT
>               unless you know what you are doing.
>               Default: disabled

There is a set of options, DefaultScanOptions, that includes a subset
of the total options.  All options in the set DefaultScanOptions are
enabled by default.  The only way to disable them in the 0.8x series is
to use the option DisableDefaultScanOptions.

The problem is that in the 0.8x series, the options are not boolean (there
is no on/off or yes/no argument to most options).  So the question arises,
how do you disable something that is enabled by default?  Commenting it
out won't work, since then the library will use the default.  The only
way currently is with DisableDefaultScanOptions.

>        ScanPE PE stands for Portable Executable - it's  an  executable
>               file format used in all 32-bit versions of Windows oper-
>               ating systems. This option allows ClamAV  to  perform  a
>               deeper  analysis  of  executable  files  and  it's  also
>               required for decompression of popular executable packers
>               such as UPX.
>               Default: enabled
>
>        DetectBrokenExecutables
>               With  this  option  clamd will try to detect broken exe-
>               cutables and mark them as Broken.Executable.
>               Default: disabled
>
> What is wrong?  To enable detecting broken executables you have to change two
> options in the clamd.conf file (not only one as shown in the posted options),
> one is uncommenting DisableDefaultScanOptions, the second is uncommenting
> DetectBrokenExecutables.

This option is by default disabled, and is not part of the set
DefaultScanOptions.  If you see Default: enabled, it is a member of
the set.  Does that make it more clear?
|  Stephen Gran                  | Feel disillusioned?  I've got some      |
|  [EMAIL PROTECTED]             | great new illusions, right here!        |