Thanks for your comments Nigel.

> > So, some questions:
> >
> > 1) How dangerous are these virus-bounces?
>
> In theory not at all, but I don't trust MUAs not to
> be broken
> so clamAV does look for and find them.

Exactly!

> > 2) Should clam detect the virus when given the
> > text/plain main body of the bounce message?
>
> Yes, it already does.

hmmm - the virus that got through was W32/Mytob-Z and
it was detected by a Mirapoint server downstream. We
call clamav from mimedefang on a part by part basis.

> > 3) Should clam detect the virus when given the
> entire
> > bounce message?
>
> Yes, if you have a sample which is not found, please
> email it to me.

We currently don't ask clamav to scan the entire raw
message - just each part separately. The mail was
dropped by the mirapoint server and I'm finding it
difficult to obtain an infected qmail bounce.

> > 4) What other mechanisms can we use to drop these
> > virus-bounces?
>
> I have a (closed source) milter to do that. I run it
> in parallel with clamAV
> so that it can block bounces which don't include the
> complete original
> virus (most bounces don't include the original
> emails with their viruses). I
> can talk to you about that if you want.

Ahhhh - could the original bounced mail have been
truncated in some way?

Was the mirapoint server picking up on the
subject/sender etc or maybe it has some special
filters to pick these up?

Thanks again.