Rick Macdougall wrote:

> So you are saying it is safe to pass on mail with an exit code of 2 ?

No.

> I'll never get an exit code of 2, if say the hd fills up, or clamd is
> running as a user without permissions to read the files or fails for
> some other reason ?

You'll get code 2 for any error.

If your mail setup can identify that the code 2 came from a password protected
zip file (my setups can't) then you have a choice to pass the message or not.
On the other hand if you can't identify this situation the only sensible option
is to let the message pass, and try to correct the cause of the problem.

For the specific case of the password protected zip file, in my opinion, you
should let it pass because it could be a clean message as much as it could be a
virus.

In any case the mail users should know what is the policy.  I had a similar
situation with the default settings of MailScanner, it checks for virus, then it
 checks for file types and file extension, and even if the file has no virus it
can reject say a .exe file, users knew that and after some time hated that, so I
changed it -- only viri are stopped.
--
René Berber