Stephen Gran wrote:

So you want either all possible checks, or no seperable logging? That
does seem like a rather drastic set of solutions to a trivial to fix
bug. Moving about 10 lines of code will fix the bug under discussion,

might lead to problems with logging _before_ dropping privileges

and the rest is the job of the packager/local admin.  I have to say I
have never noticed this bug up until now, because the install scripts
and logrotate scripts I use handle permissions in a way that allows it
to work (pats self on back, and wrenches arm doing so).

5 minutes looking at the code could have avoided several hundred lines
of email, methinks.

cheers

Erich