Julian Mehnle wrote:

Bill Taroli wrote:

Eric Wheeler wrote:

[...] For email transfer and MTA's alike, putting SPF in DNS to help
"authenticate" the source is a step in the right direction. If SPF is
a good idea, and it is dns based, then so should forward-and-back
lookups.

I totally agree that some solution is desirable to these issues. There
are several efforts underway, including SPF -- which now appears
(according to a recent visit to http://spf.pobox.com/) to be a formal
part (or companion) to Sender ID.

Uhm, no. There is SPF (AKA SPF Classic), and there is Sender-ID. S-ID is based on SPF, but SPF is independent from S-ID.

I did say "(or companion)", no? :-) And the other part of Sender ID is Microsloth, yes? I shudder at the thought of Microsoft's involvement, other than the potential benefit of better security in their products -- to avoid impact to the rest of us.

The SPF project is currently working to set up a new website. Significant parts of http://spf.pobox.com are outdated.

Glad to hear it. It's where I usually send folks asking about SPF -- or when I send other admins email about why their mail is getting rejected and to get more information.

But this is mostly off-topic here. For more information, join the spf-discuss mailing list: