On Jun 6, 2005, at 1:23 PM, Matt Fretwell wrote:

Timo Schoeler wrote:

What can certainly be observed on this mailing list is a tendency to
attack and reproach the developers.

IMHO this is misunderstood then. most of the cases some people ask why
this or that is managed in this or that way and some people have (and
tell) an idea of how to 'improve' (mind the colons) things.

this has nothing in common with criticism of any developer.

 Actually, these are not suggestions regarding how one might 'improve'
things. These are initial posts which are carried out with a complete lack of forethought, and then, when an OP becomes piqued once they are berated for their aforementioned lack of forethought, become ignorant, for lack of
a better word.

No, they got angry and were shocked at the response the initially got. You said it yourself that they were berated for lack of forethought. There is NO REASON to berate someone for a first offense that didn't cause harm or foul to anyone on this list. He wasn't corrected, he wasn't asked why he did what he did, he was insulted. Save the insults and beratement for someone who repeatedly breaks a rule after being corrected. Don't reply immediately with insults and beratement then act surprised when they respond defensively! It's a show of respect for someone as a person to give them some opportunity to correct their mistake before writing them off as an asshat. I don't know the guy's history on the list, but I didn't see why or how his initial postings to this thread warranted such a response.

Whilst ones does admit that some devel's may lack certain
'people skills', or as the troll one said, are just misanthropic :), (I
really love that one. Practically had it emblazoned on a badge), stupidity
is no excuse on the part of the OP.

It does not excuse insulting end users who weren't TRYING to be a pest or make a problem. Maybe he was...but I personally didn't see it in his post.

I think the definition of troll in this thread is getting greatly watered down.

One does not need to be offhand, unless circumstances really do dictate such. Propogating a link to a public page where viral or trojan software may be freely downloaded does possibly constitute one of those occasions.
Whilst the OP is already receiving these, the people who are not yet
inundated may well be pretty damn soon.

They looked to be IRC bots if I recall correctly. Hardly so new that they are a secret. www.honeynet.org/papers/bots