On Tue, 2005-06-28 at 14:30 -0400, Ronny Nussbaum wrote:
> Hello.
> I can't find anywhere a good explanation for this setting.
>
> "man 5 clamd.conf" gives:
> "Initialize supplementary group access (clamd must be started by root)."
>
> Great... What does that mean?

by default, only the same uid/gid  as the clam user can query the clamd
socket.  So, the directions on some websites say that amavis-new should
be run by the same user as clamd.  That becomes a problem if you have
lots of virus scanners that all enforce this strict 1:1 relationship.
With supplementary groups, anyone who shares a gid with the clam user
can query the socket.

For example, I might create:

addgroup virusthingy
adduser -g clamd -G virusthingy clamd
adduser -g amavis -G virusthingy amavis

Since both clamd and amavis are members of the supplementary group
"virusthingy" the amavis user would be allowed to query the clamd socket
if allowsupplementarygroups were set.

I normally just do:

adduser -g clamd clamd
adduser -g amavis -G clamd amavis

and I think the other permutation works too:

adduser -g clamd -G amavis clamd
adduser -g amavis amavis

--
Daniel J McDonald, CCIE # 2495, CNX