Jerry K wrote:
> a) since I am using sendmail, I am making the assumption that
> compiling/using libmilter is the way to go?

I went that way.

> b) if I am using ClamAV as a milter, do I need to run the clamd daemon
> or will sendmail just call libclamav.a/so?

sendmail will NOT call libclamav.a/so.  You need a milter.  You can use the
clamav-milter program included or the distribution, or a third-party milter
that calls clamd directly, such as MIMEDefang.  I use both.

If you use clamav-milter, you still have two options.  You can have
clamav-milter do the virus-checking itself, or defer to a running clamd daemon.
 There have been threading problems in the past with clamav-milter doing its
own virus-checking, FYI.  If you choose to defer to a running clamd daemon,
start clamav-milter with the --external flag.

> c) What is the default behavior when ClamAV receives an email with a
> virus? Does it just delete the whole email?  Does it quarantine the
> file and forward the email to the user?  Or is there any action,
> other than virus identification when an email arrives with an
> attached virus.

ClamAV just detects viruses.  What is done with the virus is up to the calling
agent - the milter, in this case.  This could include rejecting the email,
accepting the email but silently discarding it, and / or sending notification
emails to everyone and their mother.

> I did find this line in the clamd.conf file, but I don't know what
> command that I would run when a virus is found
>
> <i>Execute a command when virus is found. In the command string</i>

"shutdown now", for example...

> Also, from my google'ing, I came across this page
>
> http://linux-sxs.org/administration/clamav-milter.html
>
> that indicates that email's with viruses are rejected.  Is this the
>   only possible action?  Thats OK if it is, I have just yet to run
> across the
> run across the documentation that discusses this. Or, I have over
> looked it.

It's not the only possible action, but its what I do.

> d) is ClamAV + Sendmail everything I need, once functional?  I am
> asking this because several of the links that I came across while
> google'ing mentioned using ClamAV in coordination with another
> product called Amavis.

Depends.  I also scan incoming email with SpamAssassin, by way of MIMEDefang's
milter.

> Also, roughly half of the user manual is filled with "Third Party
> Products".  Why some of these have obvious purposed (graphing or log
> file processing), are there any of these necessary for me to get up
> and going in my environment?

No.

www.mimedefang.com
www.spamassassin.org
www.clamav.net

--
Matthew.van.Eerde (at) hbinc.com                 805.964.4554 x902
Hispanic Business Inc./HireDiversity.com         Software Engineer