Julio Maidanik said:

> Dennis Peterson wrote:
>>
>> Ok - so here's what I did. Configured clamd to use a Unix socket. This
>> requires you disable the TCP socket option - can't have both. Wrote a
>> perl tool that connects to that socket and sends it the location of a
>> file I wish to scan. Works great, fast, efficient, etc, just like
>> you'd expect from a Unix socket vs a TCP socket. But now I have no
>> remote way test the daemon as I do when it is using a TCP socket. My
>> interest is to have a TCP control socket available for simple tasks
>> such as reporting status, version, etc., when clamd is configured to
>> use a Unix socket.
>>
>> Now I can write a simple perl listener that will accept a TCP
>> connection from inetd and send the query to the local Unix socket but
>> that seems a bit messy, and frankly, a hack. I can also write a Big
>> Brother extension that runs locally and reports the health too, but
>> yet another hack.
>>
>> One solution would be to allow either a Unix socket, or a TCP socket,
>> or both at the same time.
>>
>> dp
>
> I am glad to know that indeed the socket is used for control purposes
> only,
> as I concluded from the logs.
> As for your request, I would vote for keeping clamd simple!
> If you need a TCP socket, then use a TCP socket:
> This shouldn't affect performance too much, taking into account that
> these
> control messages are relatively only a few.
>
> Julio

Aaaaahhh.... eyah. It was that whole redirected standard-in diversion I
was questioning. Well, I think it's a little bit bigger deal than you, but
then perhaps your mail volumes are not stressing your systems nor have a
five 9's lights out 24/7/365 requirement that is also NOC/OpenView
friendly. In my world performance and remote access are important. If you
think this is added complexity then perhaps you don't have a good grasp of
the advantages of not getting a call-out at 3:00 am.

dp