Interesting... looks to me like the watchdog thread is stuck in a tight loop. It's *supposed* to do that check when:
  - the milter goes idle
  - there are no free servers available
  - once every readTimeout-1 seconds

Any chance you put ReadTimeout=0 or ReadTimeout=1 in your clamd.conf? The milter only makes sure it's non-negative, not that it's greater than 1. (This is probably a bug, though I haven't thought about it enough to be sure, so I'll leave that to Nigel.)

I am running Redhat EL3 with kernel 2.4.213.32.0.1.
I just changed the ReadTimeout =5 (was at 0) and that seems to have done the trick..

The config file says that 0 disables the timeout, so I had it there. Thank you for your help.. And thanks Elizabeth for being so quick with the trace.. I had just started it when you had posted it. Mine had the same loop..

Thanks,
Brian

--
Brian Riffle