John W. Baxter wrote:
On 1/19/06 7:41 AM, "JT Justman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Probably we should all start using ISO-8601 YYYY-MM-DD format since
otherwise half the dates in the year are ambiguous. Call it a friendly
compromise.

Which is what we started using in-house several months ago.

I would describe today as "2006/1/19", myself, rather than "2006-1-19", but the ISO standard date format using hyphens is fine.

Big-endian timestamps are unambiguous and sort numerically into proper cronological order, ie, 20060119 is before 20060201 and after 20051225. Little-endian timestamps like MM-DD-YYYY or DD-MM-YYYY are inherently confusable and don't sort properly as numbers, either. [1]

Depending on your purposes, though, having slashes in dates works well to organize things in the filesystem, say if you want to have timesheets or whatnot which are naturally something you'd want separated by year (or by year & month, etc) into different subdirectories...

--
-Chuck

[1]: I'm told that one of the two is supposedly called the American format, and the other is European, but I can't remember which is which. :-)