Brad Morgan wrote:

>>Which means using CFLAGS="-static --static".
>>In my case I also had to install gmp from source, as the built-in gmp in
>>cygwin somehow doesn't work (you can ignore this, but freshclam will
>>give warnings about digital signature).

Gmp in Cygwin works fine.  I have gmp-4.1.4-2 installed and no a problem
building clamav.

>>So in my case, the steps to build clamav from source are :
>>-   install the built-in clamav from cygwin port, which should ensure
>>that necessary dependencies are also installed
>>-   install gmp and curl from source
>>-   install clamav
>>
>>So, to use static libraries (well, almost static. You still need
>>cygwin1.dll) and put binaries in c:\clamav, the configure line used was
>>CFLAGS="-static --static -L/usr/local/lib" ./configure
>>--prefix=/cygdrive/c/clamav --enable-id-check --disable-clamav
>>--with-user=Administrator --with-group=Administrators

You understand all the weird stuff in here?  Installation to c:/clamav known in
vanilla cygwin as /cygdrive/c/clamav; the Cygwin package installs under /usr no
there but have it your way.  Using user/group as Administrator/Administrators is
like using root/root in unix, not usually recommended.

> Using the above command I was able to get through "make" without error but
> "make install" fails:
>
> $ make install
> Making install in libclamav
> make[1]: Entering directory `/home/brad/clamav-0.88/libclamav'
> make[2]: Entering directory `/home/brad/clamav-0.88/libclamav'
> test -z "/cygdrive/c/clamav/lib" || mkdir -p -- "/cygdrive/c/clamav/lib"
>  /bin/sh ../libtool --mode=install /usr/local/bin/install -c  'libclamav.la'
> '/cygdrive/c/clamav/lib/libclamav.la'
> /usr/local/bin/install -c .libs/libclamav.lai
> /cygdrive/c/clamav/lib/libclamav.la
> /usr/local/bin/install: line 1: Installation: command not found

There is no /usr/local/bin/install in Cygwin.  Whatever you have there is not
install.

Cygwin's install is in /usr/bin; you probably have in your PATH /usr/local/bin
first and what looks like a nag text file called install which is executable
(ha!, well that's the way _Windows_ stores everything rwxrwxrwx).

[snip]

HTH
- --
René Berber