Nigel Horne wrote:
Dennis Peterson wrote:

Nicolas MacPherson wrote:

Hello,

Just out of curiosity, is there a way to run clamd on a dedicated server, so that clamdscan could process the messages on the remote machine? I'm curious because I work for an ISP that currently runs a dedicated Spamassassin server, and would like to investigate the possibility of doing the same for ClamAV. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

I have five mail servers. All have the same tools installed for mta (Sendmail), milter (J-Chkmail), Antivirus (Clamav), syslog-ng for logging. All are under configuration control of Cfengine.

These systems are in a 5-way DNS roundrobin arrangement whereby any one of them can handle any function, or all of them. If a system goes down there are 4 more to do the work and I don't get a call-out. All you need is to enable your various tools to use tcp sockets. Otherwise it matters not where the binaries are running.

Clamav-milter can do this automagically with no need to set up DNS or
any other system.

Quite nicely, too, and I'd use it but I'd set up my systems before clamav-milter was an option, and the spam milter I use has clamav support integrated. This gives me one less milter to run. The DNS configuration also opens up a lot of nice options for system resiliance like last evening when one of the machines decided to shed a boot mirror. :(

So to the OP, yes, there are lots of ways to do it.

dp