Kaplan, Andrew H. wrote:

> I made the changes you had suggested to the .cshrc file.
[snip]
> I commented out that line as well, ran source .cshrc and then ran which gcc
> and
> gcc --version. The which gcc command gave me
>
> the following output: gcc: aliased to /usr/tools/gcc3/.

The alias is still in effect.

> When I ran the gcc --version command, I got the following message:
>
> /usr/tools/gcc3/: Permission denied. When I ran the gcc --version command as
> sudo user, the following appeared onscreen:
>
> Gcc (GCC) 3.1

Good, but by using sudo what really happened is that you got rid of the alias.
It was easier to use "alias gcc=" (at least that is the way to do it in bash,
defined as empty).

[snip]
> I didn't make changes to the PATH as of yet.
>
> When I ran the make command as sudo and a regular user, the following error
> message appeared:
>
> Cc1: warning: changing search order for system directory "/usr/local/include"
> Cc1: warning: as it has already been specified as a non-system directory

This is normal, but did you cleaned up before configure (i.e. "make distclean");
we need configure to find and use the new compiler.

> Manager.c: In function 'wwwconnect':
> Manager.c:503: 'h_errno' undeclared (first use in this function)

Back to the original problem.

h_errno is declared in /usr/include/netdb.h; there's something wrong with the
environment gcc is using... you could see the output of "gcc -print-search-dirs"
but that won't say where the headers are searched for.

Perhaps setting the header path explicitly, as in:

CFLAGS="-I/usr/include" ./configure ...

> Manager.c:503: (each undeclared identifier is reported only once
> Manager.c:503: for each function it appears in.)
> *** Error exit code 1
> Stop
> *** Error exit code 1
> Stop
> *** Error exit code 1
> Stop.
>
> Let me know if you need me to send you the attachment.

No, no need for that.
- --
René Berber