jef moskot wrote:

I have a small script I modify to do the job of lifting the offending
messages out of the mbox files.  On a large scale, there's the obvious
problem of modifying files that could be in use or files that the user
could modifying during the stripping process.

I can monitor these fairly easily in my environment, but on a larger
scale, this would certainly be a much nastier problem.

As to the question of whether or not the files have been accessed already,
in the general case, I can get to the mailboxes before they are accessed
by a majority of the users.  Certainly a high enough percentage to make
the task worth it.

Again, though, this is due to our environment.

I can see this working in a smaller environment although I still think
it is less then ideal because you have the potential to scan email
that has already been scanned and dubbed clean, especially using mbox.

It seems to me that in a larger environment scanning at the SMTP level
is ideal.

Steve