nikos wrote:
Yesterday seemed that clamav-milter blocked sendmail and we couldn't send
any mails.
I receive the next message:

Sep  4 17:41:36 server clamav-milter[24326]: hit max-children limit (5 >=
5): waiting for some to exit

After restartarting milter everything worked fine.

Can someone explain what happened? What should I prevent?

We use RH-9 with the last clamd version

Thanx - Nikos

Provide some log records so we know what you know.

Dp

Sep  4 17:41:36 server clamav-milter[24326]: hit max-children limit (5 >=5):
waiting for some to exit

This is from messeges log file...

Nothing from the mail server logs to indicate what the load is? If your system is running even lightly loaded you can hit 5 concurrent sessions - especially if you are scanning outbound and inbound (which not enough people do). Unless you have a memory constraint you should kick the limit out to as many as your system should be expected to handle. Monitor memory usage for a while with max-children set to 25, for example, and see how it goes.

dp