----- Original Message -----
>Dennis Peterson & Gerard Seibert wrote:
>>>
>>> Because you don't scan outgoing mail I have to scan incoming mail from
>>> you. My usual response when I read this kind of thing is to just go
>>> ahead and blacklist you now rather than later. Please practice safe
>>> messaging.
>>
>> That makes zero sense. Are you implying that if I were to scan an
>> outbound message you would eliminate your inbound scan? You do know how
>> stupid that sounds I assume.
>
>You clearly don't understand the problem. If everyone scanned their
>outbound I'd have fewer inbound to scan. I'd still scan them but there
>would be far less scanning required. Still sound stupid?

Actually Deniss it is you who doesn't seem to be expressing himself here.
If everyone scanned their outgoing email, the only side effect that would
have is that you would rarely detect a virus on the incoming. You'd still
be scanning the messages that were incoming since there is no way to detect
or verify that a message has in fact been scanned and certified as clean.
The end result MAY be that you scan less, but that is only because the
majority of viruses would be detected and eliminated before they got to
your server. So, in essence you'd still be scanning ALL incoming
messages... Besides, alot of viruses send from workstation rather than go
through mail servers to propogate.

>> We are presently investigating other mail clients to see if they meet
>> our requirement.
>>
>> It might also be noted that presently, at least as far as I can tell,
>> clamav-milter does not natively support Postfix. I have to use the
>> 'sendmail.cf' for instance. It would be nice if the 'clamav' team
>> developed an application that worked natively with Postfix.

Gerard,
Postfix provides native access without you needing to have the clam
developers create native support for postfix. Postfix already supports it
through its generic access interface. I use that interface to call a simple
script which launches clamc and then uvscan. It works extremely well for
me.

Kevin W. Gagel
Network Administrator
Information Technology Services
(250) 562-2131 local 448
My Blog:
http://mail.cnc.bc.ca/blogs/gagel

The College of New Caledonia, Visit us at http://www.cnc.bc.ca
Virus scanning is done on all incoming and outgoing email.
Anti-spam information for CNC can be found at http://avas.cnc.bc.ca