In message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> "Gary V"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>> >On Wed, 08 Nov 2006 11:14:52 -0700, you wrote:

>Umm, that's not how it works here. Where I come from, any purchases made out
>of state on the Internet require that we internally calculate the sales tax
>and pay it to the state. At some point, in most states, every business is
>likely to get tax audited for these purchases. Laws are changing however. At
>some point in the future the state that sells the item will be required to
>calulate, collect and send the sales tax the the state where it was
>purchased.

There are different types of tax -- sales tax is entirely in the eyes of
the payee, the payer has no obligation to ensure that the payee pays
taxes.  Imagine if the gov't came after you for shopping at Walmart
because Walmart didn't pay enough sales tax to the gov't.

Income tax is another ballpark -- As a business, I pay income tax on
every penny the company brings in, unless it leaves the company in some
way.  If I get audited, any penny I can't account for as an expense is
subject to income tax.

Now for tax reasons, a receipt is sufficient.  A print out of a website
showing how to give donations, and a PayPal receipt showing the donation
would be sufficient.

For an accountant, however, receipts aren't everything, you often need a
PO, an invoice AND a receipt in order for the expense to be counted.

As a small business owner, my accountant listens to me.  As an employee
in a large company, if I want the expense to be reimbursed (or
authorized if it's paid directly), I'd damn well better listen to the
accountant.

There.  Now with all of that being said, year end is coming, time to do
some open-source donations to projects that make my professional life
easier.  ClamAV will probably be on that list since it's doing a better
job on my mail server then my paid AV product.
--
Dave Warren,
 MSN Instant Messenger:      [EMAIL PROTECTED]