Hmm, I wonder how many of the people who responded in one way or another is actually familiar with the package in question. I have been using Linux for a couple years now and have installed thousands of packages. In general, I have not had any problems navigating the package after it has been installed. Sure packages need configuration. Sure, time is well spent figuring out how to configure them. I would have been happy to use the package in question rather than compile from source, but after spending 30 minutes trying to get into the mindset of the packager so I could actually get clamav to function, I said f*** it.

See, you do that much effort, but then the OP said he just hacks the word "example" out of the config file and runs the app as root. That means he took what, five minutes of effort?

The conf for ClamAV is rather well documented from my experiences with it. The packages may have altered the defaults or where the files are located, but once it's in place, it's not normally that hard to get working. The hard part is integrating with other daemons and scanners. How do you expect THAT to be simplified for everyone and all situations?

Yes, unlike the OP, I was willing to spend the time, but like the OP I wish I could have simply installed it and had it functioning (at least to the point I could then tweak it). This particular package appears to me it *is* trying to figure out and mold itself to environments like "CLAMAV for POSTFIX filtered through AMAVISD-NEW using SPAMASSASSIN" which in fact was my case, but somehow broke itself in the process of figuring this out. Your experience may differ. Heck, my experience may differ if I try to install the aforementioned packages in a different sequence, but I'm not sure my experience should differ. I would rather it simply put stuff in reasonably predictable places, then left it up to me to finish the configuration (if needed). The complexity of the package left me wanting something I could at least predict.

Gary V

Get today's hot entertainment gossip http://movies.msn.com/movies/hotgossip?icid=T002MSN03A07001